The Office of the Vicar for Priests exists in order to promote the personal and ministerial well being of individual priests and total Presbyterate of the Diocese of Knoxville.
The Vicar for Priests serves as an advocate for priests, with emphasis on those experiencing difficulties. The Office also exists in order to promote the fraternal bond that unites the priests in one presbyterate of diocesan and religious order priests, active and retired.
- Assist the Bishop in ministering to the needs of the Presbyterate
- Be available as an internal form advocate for priests undergoing stress or difficulties
- Make periodic contact with all priests for a wellness check – including active, retired and religious in the diocese
- Serve as an ex-officio member of Priestly Life and Ministry Committee. You will work with the PLM Committee for programs of transition for newly ordained and those preparing to be pastors and those approaching retirement age
- Direct ongoing formation for those ordained 5 years and under
- Serve as an advocate for priests on leave for health or personal reason
- Maintain contact with priests who are hospitalized or are in long-term care facilities.
- Provide assistance in coordinating a priest’s funeral arrangements (i.e. – be the point of contact for family, etc.)