It was the first day that high school seniors can accept athletic scholarships to play at a Division I school. The 10 students signed letters allowing them to pursue academic and athletic opportunities at the college level.
The signing ceremony took place in the KCHS gymnasium before family, friends, and coaches. The letters were immediately faxed to the athletes’ schools of choice.
Recognized during the ceremony were:
- Aaron Aucker, who will play baseball at Middle Tennessee State University;
- Kathryn Culhane, who will play soccer at the University of Tennessee;
- Martha Dinwiddie, who will play soccer at the University of the South in Sewanee;
- Kristen Halstead, who will play lacrosse at the University of Findlay;
- Emily Holloway, who will play tennis at Denison University;
- Suddy Hutchins, who will play soccer at East Tennessee State University;
- Riley McMillan, who is KCHS’s first equestrian scholarship recipient and will compete at Maryville College;
- Erika Miller, who will play soccer at the University of Arkansas;
- Mark Mishu, who will play soccer at the University of Notre Dame;
- Ashley Welborn, who will run cross-country and track at Louisiana State University.
“This is a proud day for KCHS and our athletic program,” said Jason Surlas, athletic director at the high school and coordinator of the school’s National Signing Day ceremony. “These young men and women have excelled on and off the field, and the opportunity to play at a college level validates their years of hard work and commitment.”