The MelchizeTrek is a week long backpacking trip in the Savage Gulf for young men who are open to considering a priestly vocation. Participants will be expected to hike on moderate trails approximately 7 miles per day. Daily activities will include Holy Mass,praying the Divine Office, and a Holy Hour.
Fr. Michael Hendershott and Fr. David Carter are looking for ten good men ages 14-21 to join them in an experience that is designed to encourage the integration of morality, values, spiritual faith, scripture and vocation in the lives of these young men who will be asked to commit to their own continued discernment as they return home and live out a life open to the will of God.
- All participants must have the physical health and stamina to backpack on the various maintain trails of the the Savage Gulf . The Trek will include Shelter camping as well as backcountry campsites.
- Participants are expected to hike 5-7 miles per day on moderate level trails.
- Adults 18-21 must have completed the safe environment program of the Diocese of Knoxville
- Previous experience in backpacking through programs like Scouting or the Troops of St. George is helpful.
- Because the MelchizeTrek is limited to 10 good men, selection will be made based on demonstrated maturity, physical ability, and interest in the life of the Church with an openness to Vocational discernment.
DATES: June 29-July 6, 2019
Deadline for Registration: Monday June 10, 2019
- Savage Gulf Depart from (location to be determined shortly)
MelchizeTrek Itinerary (To be determined shortly)
Sat, 10 AM: for ice breakers, team building, and gear shakedown
Sun, AM: Depart for
Sat, AM: Return to S
Leaders: Fr. Michael Hendershott Associate Vocations Director and Fr. David Carter Deanery Coordinator for Vocations
Camping Gear: Limited amount of Loaner equipment is available
Packing List: MelchizeTrek 2019 Packing List
Youth Registration (14-17): Youth Medical Release/Registration Form combo (Must have completed their first year of High School)
For More Information Please Contact: Fr. Michael Hendershott by filling out the information below: